Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Optimism vs Pessimism vs Realism

Ok, so It's been a while I have posted something on this very blog. Well, I'd love to. But it's holiday and I just love holiday so much that I dont want to disturb it with unnecessary thing, for example, blog. But, since I cant fall asleep right now, and I'm getting tired re-doing tv marathon (I'm currently re-watching House, M.D, season 2. If there is anyone interested to watch it, you can copy it from me. I have all the seasons. Yeah, I'm a big fan). And rather than trying to sleep while my mind wonders everywhere, thinking unimportant subjects, for example, why the hell I'm having insomnia during holiday or how I put my mind at ease, so I thought I might as well do something productive, for instance, updating my outdated blog.

And the prolog has been on too long. Tonight I want to write about perspective, and how it affects our behavior (well, I've been wanting to write it for a long time, but yeah, I'm a little bit procrastinator. And, people have been complaining me for being too negative or too positive at different times, so I guess it'd be easier for me to explain it through my blog).

In general, I conclude there are three perspective to see things : Optimism, Pessimism, and Realism. Before I give any explanation, this is an illustration on them. 

Second illustration : Three people, Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, have just done a test. 
Optimist : "I did the best I could. I'm sure I'm going to pass."
Pessimist : "There were some answers I had doubt of. I'm going to fail."
How do realists say about this ? 

From the illustrations I have given you above, I'm sure all of you, my lovely readers, have concluded them by yourself. But, I'd love you to still let me explain them as brief as possible.

1. Optimism (the person is optimist) is a mental attitude or world view that interprets situations and events as being best (optimized) (source : Wikipedia - Optimism). Simple way to say, an optimist someone who always sees something or an event from positive point of view. They interpret situations in the best possible way. An optimist believes that everything happens for a reason and everything will eventually be alright. Optimists tend to live longer and have a lower chance to get depressed. On the other hand, optimists have so much positive energy that they always set their goals high, and when they undoubtedly fail, they have so much to be depressed about. 

2. Pessimism (the person is pessimist) is a state of mind in which one anticipates undesirable outcomes or believes that the evil or hardships in life outweigh the good or luxuries (source : Wikipedia- Pessimism). Pessimists tend to believe that everything will always end up bad. They believe that the universe is not a nice place and they dont deserve the good things in life. So, they tend to see everything in a negative point of view. Pessimists are prone to be depressed and have a high likelihood to commit suicide. But, pessimists view life in a bad way make them always prepare for the worst, and never set their goals high, that way when they fail they have less to be depressed about.

3. Realism (the person is realist). Realists tend to believe that whatever we believe now is only an approximation of reality and that every new observation brings us closer to understanding reality. In simple way, realists find the facts, weigh them, and take actions based on what the results. Realists see things from positive side, but they also realize that negative things will inevitably happen at some point. So, they always prepare for the worst, while at the same time hoping for the best. 

Well, I categorize my self as a realist. My key point of being a realist is always be optimistic with things that you cant control (external cause), and be pessimistic with things that you can control (internal cause). For example, when I fail an exam, I believe that God fails me because he wants to teach me something or God has a plan for me (uncontrolled situation) while at the same time I believe that It's my fault and God has nothing to do with it. I am lazy and I havent studied hard enough so I fail my exam (controlled situation) that way I can evaluate and improve my self so I wont fail on the next exam. Another example is people. I try to always believe that all people are good and they will never hurt me intentionally. But at the same time, I also believe that everybody is too selfish to care about other people's feelings, so I shouldnt trust people. I cant control people, but I can control how I feel towards people and whether I should or shouldnt trust them. One thing that I've learned all my life is never blame people for everything wrong in your life. Because you are the one who control your life and you should never let other people get to you or take control over it.

And how do the realists say about the test? Well, as a realist, this is my answer.
I do the best I could. I doubt my answers about 25%. Supposed that all my doubtful answers are wrong, and all of my confident answers are right, I still get 75%. I guess, I'll be able to pass the exam, but not necessarily achieve a good grade. Maybe If I study harder the next time, I can get 80%.

And this is the end of my post. I hope this post can help you, all my readers, to see things differently. And if, somehow, you dont agree with my opinion, feel free to comment it. Happy holiday and eid mubarok! 

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts the sail. -William A. Ward
Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist, while you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Sincerely, The Opportunist. 
Another source : How to be a happy realist

No comments:

Post a Comment